Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bully Free, or Bully McGee?

           Princess Margaret Secondary School is situated in the beautiful Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada. A small community-oriented school, only about 700 students attend. Almost everybody knows everybody, and a large portion of the students have grown up together. It has been pondered as to whether or not this school is subject to bullying cases, but that is up to the students to decide.

          A grade 12 student at the school, Kristen Warnock, screamed and ran away when questioned about bullying at her school. It is apparent she was either very bullied and scared, or very guilty. Chelsea White, another grade 12 student, was more eager to share her experiences. "I get beaten every day. My friends greet me by shoving me into a locker or pushing me down the stairs. It breaks my heart to be treated so harshly, but there's nothing I can do about it because they said if I reveal their names they will kill me." When questioned about her classmates' experiences with bullying, she simply shook her head and quickly rushed off.

         It can be assumed that from students' reactions to the questions, bullying runs rampant in Princess Margaret. Evidently, not much is being done to stop the madness. It can only be hoped that one day, teenagers will be less disgusting and less likely to take their insecurities out on their fellow peers. The world is waiting for change, Princess Margaret, are you ready to face that challenge?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment